So I have the idea in my head and in all of the books/magazines/articles I have read, it is VERY important to put it on paper; write it down, hash out your thoughts, and solidify, on paper, what your goals and visions are.
So I met the requirement halfway. I didn't put it on paper, but I did write it out on Google Docs. The reason I chose Google Docs is because the first thing I wanted to do with this document is share it and get feedback from friends of mine.
This is a basic outline of what I/We wrote out:
- An overview: things like what items will be on the menu, how many tables (if any) I will have, the ideal location, pricing, what the food will be served in - very specific, yet succinct
- BOH (Back Of House) items - anything I could think of like counter tops, dry storage, refrigeration, grills and then I priced them all on Craig's List (don't buy new if you don't have to)
- FOH (Front Of House) items - cash register, cold drink fridge, tables, chairs, and again I priced all of these on Craig's List
- Soft items like "to go" containers/bags, spices, oil
- Future Enhancements/Thoughts - additional menu items or specials, online ordering
- Preparation - plate spec book, recipe book, price book
"Why would I need this after I opened the place?", you ask. So I can open ANOTHER Lake's Kitchen and I'll have a very good blue print from which to work from. NICE!